Saturday, May 18, 2013

Beautiful Isfahan...

I'm slightly frustrated...between us, Dave and I took over 3000 pictures in Iran, and picking out a dozen or so to share is almost impossible! So, this post will be short on words, and long on pictures.

25 years ago, when I was in love with old-fashioned roses (I had 350 different varieties at the vineyard!), I had one lovely Damask rose which was highly fragrant and beautiful in a "blousy" way; it was called Isfahan, and its origins in Persia were very old.

The name sounded so exotic; little did I know that the city it took its name from would become one of my favorite cities in the world. According to the brochure on our Iran trip, "known as the masterpiece of Persian culture, this former capital of Iran created by Shah Abbas I, in the 16th century, is known as a city of beautiful gardens, fine art, and for its bridges that span the Zayandeh River." 

Arriving in Isfahan, we immediately noticed thousands of trees and the green and flowery gardens...





As in almost all the garden and median strips in Iran, there were "parcours" type equipment for use by young and old...










Isfahan is known for the eleven bridges that cross the Zayandeh river...five of the bridges are very old.

This is the oldest, dating from the 12th century. Most of the other old ones are from the 17th century.


We came across many students, young and older, who were on "field trips"...



Spices in the markets...

and tiles in the mosques...unbelievably beautiful!






And MY favorite...mirrored tiles


Everywhere I looked, there were angles and arches...










And the CARPETS...OMG, beautiful, sometimes very old


We haggled for this one, but walked away without it

And didn't even bid on this one, as it was SO EXPENSIVE...


but I still dream about it....

TTYL....

22 comments:

  1. Omigosh, Margy. Stunning, Stunning, Stunning, Stunning, Stunning. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every. Single. Shot. Is eye candy of the most nutritious kind! I want to be there.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margy - Beautiful photos. Thanks so much for taking us along with you & Dave on your fabulous trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea of this beautiful city. Thank you for taking the pictures and sharing. I love the sequential doorways but really, there's too much beauty to have a favorite. ~Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous images! I've never seen mirrored tiles before. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I had finished lunch and were quietly listening to birds as I scrolled through these photos. He and I looked and looked, without saying anything. There was a sense of reverence in our dining room. Thank you, Mary and Ross

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a fantastic trip. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just breathtaking! I had no idea Iran was such a beautiful country! Love the gardens - and the architecture is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply breathtaking! I had no idea...such a beautiful (and ancient) country. Thank you for bringing it back to us. Who would have thought Iran would be such a wonderful destination! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning. Thks so much for sharing. Bet you guys can hardly believe you were there. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your artist's eye shows in your photo composition. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my, my, my. Such exquisite color. What a feast you partook in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I agree...eye candy. What an amazing trip that must have been...thank you for sharing...
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing journey! I'm so happy you have shared these gorgeous spots with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a truly breathtaking journey! Again, thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Opened my eyes to a diferent culture. Thank.

    ReplyDelete
  17. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=126121171139339&id=100012243703711

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear friends,
    Please fill this survey if you have ever traveled to Isfahan. The survey is related to my master thesis which is about Isfahan Handicraft.
    I would appreciate your help in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  19. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=126121171139339&id=100012243703711

    ReplyDelete